Oct 29, 2012

Storm Soup


STORM SOUP 
by Anne Tisbert

I cooked a large package of boneless skinless chicken thighs at 350 degrees sprinkled with garlic salt and pepper. 

While they are cooking I diced 2 large onions and put in bottom of largest stock pan. Add 1/2 head of chopped celery with the leaves. Drizzled pan heavily with olive oil and stir constantly over med/high heat until onions turn clear (3-5 minutes). 

Cut up into bite sizes and add all the following veggies - 12 carrots (scrubbed but not peeled), 2 purple top turnips and 6 gold turnips (peeled), also add 2 cloves of garlic pressed. Stir often until all very, very hot and slightly cooked about 20 minutes. 

Add four quarts of veggie or chicken stock. When the chicken was done, I cut it up into large bites and threw it into the soup including the pan drippings for extra flavor as it had very little fat. After cooking on the stove top for an hour I added 1 quart of fingerlings (also cut into bite sizes). I let it simmer for an hour and then shut it off. 

At dinner time a quick reheating of an extra hearty vegetable and chicken soup made for a great meal. Only wish I had picked up fresh bread as it would have been perfect for sopping up the tasty broth (but alas, it was not on the diet this week! I really cheated on too many things over the weekend and had to get myself back on track).

No comments: